Taking care of hardwood flooring adds beauty and warmth to any room. But doing so is also an investment that helps them last a lifetime, increasing the value of your home. Here are some valuable tips for taking care of your hardwood flooring:
- Routine Cleaning: Dust or vacuum using a soft brush to remove dirt that can scratch the surface. Then use a microfiber mop and hardwood floor-specific cleaner to maintain the floor's shine without causing damage. Stay away from abrasive cleaners, ammonia-based solutions and oil soaps that dull the finish and create sticky residue.
- Wipe Up Spills: Immediately wipe up any spills to prevent water damage or staining. Place rugs in high spill-prone areas, like the kitchen, to protect the floor. Also place rugs at entry points to reduce dirt and moisture brought in from outside.
- Use Furniture Pads: Attach soft pads to the legs of furniture to prevent scratches and dents when moving or rearranging your space.
- Regular Maintenance: Depending on the level of foot traffic, your hardwood floor may need to be refinished every 3 to 5 years, which involves sanding and resealing the surface to restore its original beauty.
- Humidity Control: Maintain consistent humidity levels in your home as fluctuations can lead to expansion and contraction of the wood, potentially causing gaps or warping.
- Sun Protection: Direct sunlight can fade your hardwood floors. Use curtains or blinds to shield your floors from harsh UV rays.
Please contact Kelly Pearson for all of your Real Estate needs.